Wednesday, May 23, 2007

One More Day

So, it’s Wednesday night, 9:30. I watched Coronation Street and then an episode of Friday Night Lights taped from last night, had dinner, did the washing up, shaved and have my clothes laid out for a 5:00 start in the morning. I’m burning a couple of CDs I’ve downloaded over the last week while I write this. Usually I get in bed about 10:00 with a nightcap and the book I’m reading and then the lights are out about 11:00. Exciting, huh?
It’s been one of those weeks at work. What can I say, they happen. A contributing factor is that 3 classes graduate next week and that always seems to ratchet up the tension a bit. We’ll survive it. Last weekend David, Lorin and Pat came down from Sharjah and joined Phil, Enma and I at Finz at the Rotana Beach Hotel for a birthday dinner for Lorin and anniversary dinner for David and Lorin. Everyone was late, so I was forced to have a vodka martini before they got there and then another one, of course, once we all get settled in at table. Started with ½ dozen oysters then some white wine and the catch of the day, grilled, then chocolate mousse for dessert. Everyone had a good time. We laughed and talked about old times and future plans and summer vacation.
Tomorrow, Thursday, is last day of the work week. Dinner is going to be at Steve, Leah and Hannah’s with Phil and Enma and me. I’m looking forward to it, a true family dinner. Then I will probably spend the rest of the weekend with the wagons in a tight circle watching a little TV, reading and working on the computer, the usual. The valueless joy of not hearing my name called.
Next weekend will be goodbye to David and Lorin’s flat and garden. I have a feeling it’s going to be a weekend to remember, but most of it will be lost in an appropriate haze of alcohol. I’ll drive up to Sharjah next Thursday after work and that night we’ll do a private family-type goodbye to the place and all we’ve shared there. Friday night will be an open house type-thing with people from the campus. Saturday will be a day of recovery and then Sunday back to Abu Dhabi for work on Monday. It’s our long weekend. I’ll try to take pics. I have pics also, before and after, from Finz from last weekend and will try to post them this weekend along with a longer, more coherent post. It’s 10:00 and time to make a drink and read myself to sleep.
Below are links to a few pieces I’ve read over the last week or so. Check them out. They’re worth the ten minutes. I’m reading Fiasco by Thomas Ricks now and so I’m feeling a highly political post coming on. I’m about half-way through it. Why isn’t most of the Bush government in prison? Maybe reading the Impeachment post by Gary Kamiya linked below will help explain, maybe not.
More soon.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/05/14/iraq/
America’s Long Iraq Nightmare by Patrick Cockburn

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/05/14/drudge/
The Matt Drudge Primary by Michael Scherer

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/05/14/wolfowitz/
Paul Wolfowitz’s Fatal Weakness by Juan Cole

http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/05/22/impeachment/
Why Bush Hasn’t Been Impeached by Gary Kamiya

No comments: